Topic: Smartphone as a controller

Hi everyone!

Let me tell you about some interesting addon for the JReX game.

Whan can you say about keyboard controls? Yes, it is the worst control device for racing games. So, if you have a joystick you are happy! But what about players who do not have a joystick? Should they suffer?

No, guys! The solution is coming...
What if you try to use your smartphone as a joystick. Any smartphone has an accelerometer, sometimes the gyro. We can use it as a steering wheel. Button controls, gauges and HUDs also can be moved to the smartphone controller app.

At present time this app is in development (early alpha) and I think that I could show you something at the end of the month.

What you think about?

JReX Developer

Re: Smartphone as a controller

Hi SeriouSerg,

I think this is a bad idea.  It sounds great in theory, but overall the interaction is going to suffer from input lag (without extreme optimization), and who likes playing racing games on their smart phone?

I bought Hydro Thunder, a game I have loved all my life (including the PC remakes on the windows store), and ended up playing it for less than 5 minutes because accelerometer controls are bulky and slow.

This game has potential to be seriously cool in a niche market.

Re: Smartphone as a controller

Shozokui wrote:

Hi SeriouSerg,

I think this is a bad idea.  It sounds great in theory, but overall the interaction is going to suffer from input lag (without extreme optimization), and who likes playing racing games on their smart phone?

I bought Hydro Thunder, a game I have loved all my life (including the PC remakes on the windows store), and ended up playing it for less than 5 minutes because accelerometer controls are bulky and slow.

This game has potential to be seriously cool in a niche market.

Thanks for your reply!
I understanding your worries but I want to share you the results of alpha test.
The lag time is about 20-30 ms, not more.
In the control app I'm trying to use the gyroscope and accelerometer (for zero drift compensation). In this way the control of the vehicle is pretty fast and responsible. I have not noticed any lag.

For low end devices it is possible to use only accelerometer. This is worse than in the first case, there is more noise, but still usable.
The lag could be in worth electromagnetic conditions when the WiFi signal starts to degrade.

Anyway, I'll find the best solution to control the jet beast.

JReX Developer